Monday, January 23, 2012

it's an off day

I find that when I have days off with nothing to do, I have the most trouble managing my diabetes. It's like.. okay, I'll sit here for 3 hours and watch Netflix. Then, I'll go eat something. Then, I'll play on my computer for an hour... and go eat something. This constant influx of eating out of boredom combined with my general lethargy makes for a yo-yo day in regards to blood sugar. For example, last night, I went to bed high -- 279. Woke up high -- 202. Took a bolus correction. Plummeted to 39!!! Drank a coke -- shot up to 209. Took another correction -- shot up to 233 instead. Waited like 4 hours and I finally dropped to 141.

I have a headache already. But the good news is my insurance magically paid for an extra prescription of insulin this month! So instead of 3 bottles of humalog, I scored 6. Granted, I have to pay the copay, but I like having a little back up plan since I routinely run out until the last drop of insulin is gone from the vial -- then I'm searching for old resevoirs with some left in it, because my prescription is expired and the Doctor's office is closed and can't call it in. So hopefully I won't have to do that any time soon.

I have been reading a lot of people's posts on CGMs and I think maybe soon I will try it again. During the filming of the show, I did a 7 day trial with the dexcom. But I am all about traveling light -- you're lucky if I even carry my meter with me, and trying to convince me to carry around that oddly shaped, vinyl zipper coated CGM would be near impossible. Plus... I already have issues with infusion sites on my body. I have very fair skin and already am scarred to the max from my pump sites. I know it sounds stupid and cosmetic, but I'm not sure if I want to add another device that's going to mark my body up further. I wish I knew a way to get rid of the scars. I've tried creams to dim them but they really don't work!

Oh well. This post is really just my ramblings today, since I'm trying to kill time while I wait the day to tick on by. If anyone has any really good websites about the Dexcom, let me know. I'd like to do some more research to figure out if it's really going to be for me.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kristyn. My name is Victoria and I blog at victoriacumbow.com. I watched the show, along with Kim (textingmypancreas.com) and so many others. Let me begin by saying how absolutely thrilled I am to see you've found the Diabetes Online Community. I'd love to share my experiences with my Dexcom. I've had diabetes for 18 years. I wore a pump in high school, but in college, I grew to hate it. Mostly, it was an appearance thig coupled with being tethered to something nonstop. Fast forward 10 years, and I'm a working adult with an A1c close to 9. I found the DOC and learned about the new pump, Animas, and Dexcom. I got the Dex and lowered my A1c to 7.1 in three months. Shortly after, I got my pump, and now my A1c is 6.6. So I totally get where you are coming from in terms of devices and sites. For me, I hated the two sites in the beginning, but when I started seeing results, I started to care less about the sites. We have a saying around here: "your diabetes may vary" and it's true (and also a friend's blog title). I'm so happy you're here and happy you're taking the initiative to better your health! Yay for you. And as for the days off, higher sugars thing... yeah, that happens. :) Sorry for the novel of a comment, but welcome and know we're all here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dexcom site isn't that bad, then again i used it while i was on the omnipod. The omnipod marked me up good, i think i've given up the idea of being a model anyway (joke haha). http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/dexcomusers has a group about dexcom. It's annoying carry it but i ended up putting it in my bra like i do the medtronic pump. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristyn, I'm a Type II diabetic since 1997. Sounds like your doc needs to up your RX for at least one additional bottle of Humalog per month. Just ask. There are some things in life you can skimp on. Insulin is not one of them. Enjoyed the show and I do hope all is going well in your life.

    ReplyDelete